Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Tasklist Fear Syndrome -----TFS

There's nothing like a friend to
put into articulate words that which haunts many of us: Tasklist Fear Syndrome (See the link to Dustin's Blog in my links list for the complete writing). I'm taking the liberty to quote Dustin's blog post (August 14, 2005), because I feel he did a great job defining TFS and even creating criteria!!

The symptoms are anxiety, depression, anger, remorse, guilt and sadness. It is caused by avoiding important tasks that need to be done next. There may or may not be a written tasklist, but irrespective it is usually the "next" thing that needs to be done in life. The task is often one of two types:
  1. A very large ambiguous task with no clear beginning, end or milemarkers. Common tasks are thesis, re/design projects, new ventures (like a business or lifestyle change).
  2. Simple tasks that require an action which is emotionally uncomfortable. Common tasks are making certain phone calls (calling someone you are worried about what they think), paying bills (when it raises other financial issues), cleaning (when the stuff will reveal uncomfortable issues or when it's "not fair") and writing in your blog. tasklist-fear-syndrome/strong>

TFS - I know this syndrome well!

Of course the way that TFS suffers deal with this syndrome is through procrastination. Often this takes the form of creative endeavors or escapes. My best example is when I was writing my dissertation. I had a horrible case of TFS. (I think the most susceptible individuals to TFS are graduate students, especially those working on major projects, thesis, or dissertation; the second most susceptible would be their professors!)

In the dissertation process, my coping with TFS was to write poetry and perform folk music. (Fact is, if my dissertation had been a compilation of poetry and song lyrics, I'd have had the thing done in 6-months. But I was not an English major...oh darn.) Of course all that creative writing did not help me get the project done, and although performing was a terrific release, it didn't put research words to the page. I had to "face the fear and move through it". I read a book about that.

When my "guts" are in turmoil about TFS these days, I do try to use the "just get started" type of thinking. I know that taking the first step is the hardest, but also is the beginning of the journey of getting the feared/loathed task done. Often, after taking the first step, the fear is conquered and progress can begin.

What about that dissertation? Well, in 2002 I did finish it. Fact is, I was able to finish up the writing that I so avoided, by doing a writing marathon of 48 hours over Easter break. I knew that I only had a few days of work to do....I knew that for months and months and months. The anniversary of the first draft being completed is March 31, 2002. The final was submitted in late August of 02.

TFS still gets me. Avoidance behavior....I bet it gets you, too! Unlike Dustin, I don't mind posting to my blog, however. When I'm posting - I can avoid housework.

S~

No comments: