Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Stage of Change

So much, so fast, so sudden, so significant...we are in a time of rapid changes impacting daily lives. The images of the devastation of hurricane Katrina...haunting. Revealing. Modern USA urban human thrown into life and death survival by natural forces. Years ago, several of my friends would talk about how they would or could or might survive catastrophic disaster. Intellectual banterings of what barriers "modern man" has to coping and surviving when striped to basics. Now we see it before us, as we watch television stories of those piecing together lives, living without shelter in clusters on a broken interstate overpass. Drinkable water...more precious than any material thing, a bite of food, a piece of cardboard to shelter from the sun.

But I am in the Northern USA. After last night's exploration of information and viewing of Katrina picture slideshows...I went to bed feeling disheartened, concerned, worried, and overwhelmed by the travesty visited upon the New Orleans and Mississippi coastal areas, places I've never been.

Already in a state of concern about the oil/gas prices, the ripple of the destruction was written on the gas station signs...87 octane 2.99.9 as of 7 p.m. tonight. I am seriously taking stock of changing my commuting behaviors. I'm thinking about the catastrophic possibilities of a cold winter with fuel oil as my house's heating source. I'm having dark thoughts about the close of 2005. All this as I am working to pump up excitement about the start of a new college semester, guiding students to new information, and making a difference in the world in my small way.

I talked to my sister today, who was looking quite forward to a late summer vacation in Moab, Utah. She has had one thing after another happen that could be omens that maybe she should stay home. Tonight she's wondering if they could end up stranded...finding themselves in a place that runs out of gasoline supplies and far from home.

But my problems, my sister's problems, these are small compared to the thousands of people sleeping tonight without shelter or basic necessities on that broken interstate overpass in New Orleans or Biloxi; or compared to the men and women whose loved one slipped from their grasp in the raging wind and rising waters of Katrina's wrath; or compared to those whose familiar place is wiped from the planet, and possibly forever under the sea and silt...like lost Atlantis.

Such a time we are living in. Change is upon us.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Dr. SooZ: Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving a comment. The devastation of this hurricane is beyond comprehension. As I was paying bills today, I wrote our usual check to the mortgage company - I usually groan when I do that - but today, I was exceedingly grateful to have that privelege, as so many tens of thousands of people don't have a home anymore.

I also noticed on your webpage that you're in education for special needs kids. My daughter, who is a freshman this year, has had ADD for several years. One of my areas of expertise in my counseling practice is ADD/ADHD. We should compare notes sometime!

Blessings to you.