Saturday, August 27, 2005

Fresh Peaches


We have a couple peach trees in our front yard. They are actually planted in an annoying location, right in front of the picture window. When we bought our house a year ago, we've discussed taking them out or moving them to a different spot. Well, I don't think that is going to happen, as one tree has found a warm spot in my heart.

Of the two peach trees, one tree has been struggling to produce fruit this summer. It has had a case of "curly leaf", which defoliated it after it set fruit. I read about the disease, and removed a few peaches. We've had a very dry summer, so I've also watched these peaches very slowly swell...and recent rains have added the final necessary touches so that the peaches were ready to pick.

Yesterday I wandered past the tree and decided to pick a peach to see if any were ready. I bit into the fruit and the flavor burst into my mouth - oh so flavorful - and the peach juice streamed down my hand and wrist. The peach was a taste of heaven.

I picked the peaches, and filled 1/3 of a large paper grocery sack with them. I then sat and ate 3 more!! I pondered pigging out on as many as my stomach would hold...but then...well, thought that I probably should spread out the "riches" across several days. I also should can or freeze some, or make a pie.

Ahhh, peaches. I absolutely love the taste of fresh peaches. The only rival favorite fruit are fresh nectarines, which I find are the better buy when "store bought" produce is the option. Peaches....fresh peaches! There's nothing like them!

No comments: