Friday, August 26, 2005

Subaru Outback on the Mend

On January 27, 2005 I had a car accident. Luckily no one was injured. We all walked away from the terrible accident, although I had some bruised ribs. That began our plight about what to do about the car.

The car, a 1999 Subaru Outback Limited Edition, had just recently been purchased. I'd had it 3-weeks!! The problem: I'd only gotten liability insurance - thus no money to restore the car. I think the insurance company would probably have totalled the car.

The car was towed away from the bad accident (I'd made a lefthand turn and not seen an oncoming car) and the estimate for repair was more than what I'd paid for the car 3-weeks prior. A friend stepped forward and said, "Heck Soozee, I've rebuilt worse. I can fix it for you." So, our misadventure in fixing the Subaru began. He towed the car back to his house, and for a few weeks seemed to have keen interest in fixing it. He removed the bent and broken pieces, and went on scavenges to get the parts needed. We found parts for far less than what the autobody repair shop had quoted, and so that initially made this seem like a very good deal.

It was...until this friend lost interest. The car, although ready for the next phase, sat inside and outside for months without any additional efforts made. Eventually the car was towed back to our house, where my husband took it on as a project, and through all of his loving effort, the car is now nearing completion. The cost? Well...at this point its starting to reach that initial body shop estimate.

Of course the best thing that will come from this is the pride my husband feels about his accomplishment. He's always been good with repairing cars, and this restoration certainly has stretched his skills. He's careful with everything he does, and he's been willing to research and network with folks to solve the problems he's encountered.

Although various auto salvage places have served us well for finding parts, the most helpful business of all has been Courtesy Subaru in Rapid City, SD. Courtesy has an internet deal where if you buy parts from them, they will give a parts discount. Having once lived in the Rapid City area, dealing with them has reminded us of our times living there. We've also appreciated the customer service we have received, as well as the quick shipment of what has been needed. www.subaru-parts-dealer.com

I asked my car yesterday if the "transplants" were working out (parts our friend gleaned from a '97 Outback, and others that we've gotten off of ebay and from Dor Auto Recyclers in Michigan). For more pictures go to my webpage www.geocities.com/soozeej/subarublues.html


No comments: