Thursday, July 03, 2008

The 2008 Garden, June 16th

The following pictures were taken a little over a month from the previous ones. First, you can see that the barren bit of land has blossomed with life. Secondly, you can see that I've "tamed" the area with my "French-style" raised beds, and am coaxing an assortment of vegetables to grow to grace my table, as well as supply other folk's tables.

Note, the straw bales are surrounding my "giant" tomato plants. I purchased several from a small greenhouse in Crivitz, WI. These were half-grown when I got them. The weather was so cold, that I decided to surround them with bales to try and bring some warmth to them, blocking the chilly breeze that just kept blowing here in our lakeside region by Lake Michigan.





After reading about Urban Gardening projects in Milwaulkee and Chicago using children's swimming pools for containers, I have planted 2 of these to add space to my backyard garden growing area.

No comments: