Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A New Adventure in Cyberworld

Entering Blogging....Computers have been part of my world since 1982. Although I'm not always the "first" to do this computer stuff, it seems that I plod along and eventually enter the next stage of this Internet world. I started out with computers when PET was the word for a machine. Well, actually before that when I was learing (and cussing) a beginning programming class using punch cards. PET to Commodore 64 to Apple II to Apple IIe, ...then PC 286...386...486....etc. etc. You know the drill. I got involved in the early internet thru the newsgroup kind of activity. I was a moderator of the K12 special ed net in 1993-4....an "International Moderator" of the group postings sitting at my computer in an isolated corner of rural Montana. As I write this comment, I realize that this blogging thing is pretty much the same kind of deal...except now anyone can begin one and do whatever. So...then there were the early stages of email, and then the explosion of the internet possibilities. In 1996 I signed up for a Geocities website...have had that ever since! A wonderful teacher of basic webpage skills...that I value today as a teacher using online formats to augment and teach classes.

But, back to my first thought...I'm now entering the world of blogging, following in the footsteps of my son and "adopted" son.... Welcome to a glimpse at my world, my thoughts, and all that.

1 comment:

Tree said...

Welcome to the blogging world!! Everyone is so confused as to what a blog is and what it can do... yet the possibilities are really limitless.... diaries, news blogs, family/friend announcements, themed blogs, photo blogs, audio-blogs... and the list goes on.

I HIGHLY recommend Google's other software that makes blogging even easier. Picasa (www.picasa.com) allows you to fix up pictures in a matter of seconds & then export to another google program called Hello (www.hello.com). Hello can upload pictures straight to your blog & allow you to type entire paragraphs to be posted with it. I can actually post an image straight from my camera in less than a minute!! Which is FAR easier than logging into blogger.com and dealing with HTML image codes.

I currently have 4 blogs. My family/friend blog, japanese penpal blog, Anime review blog & a blog I was using to compile data for a website I'm assisting with.

I think it's a GREAT way to strengthen bonds with friends and family, as everyone can keep up with my life. It has helped me keep in touch with distant friends, provided they are technological enough. ^_^