Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Garden 2006

Its time for me to post some photos of this year's garden!

Here's my garden (left) area after initial prep in early May. The leaf covered bed in the fore ground is one of my potato beds. Here I had finished planting it. The path is covered with old carpet pieces, excellent for keeping weeds down.


Here is the same view, (right) as of July 3, 2006. The potato patch is in the fore ground. Next are two tomato beds, and then some corn and misc. Raspberries and a grapevine are along the far edge of my garden.




Here's the early May view of my garden again (left), this time taken looking straight on towards it, including my green house frame.




Here's how it looks on July 3, 2006 (right)! What I love about Wisconsin is how lush everything grows.






Here's a photo of last year's potato bed area (left) , again in early May. I had a compost heap by it, which I used and then relocated at the back of the big garden for this year.


And here (to the right) is the same bed, which this year has peas, lettuce, and onions, on July 3, 2006.

Of course the thing that I have been so keen on all year long has been tomatoes. Although I do have some tomato beds in the large garden, I have once again planted tomatoes along the fence. This year I am actually fighting tomato "weeds", as the seeds from last year's dropped tomatoes are sprouting. This might be due to having planted heirloom plants that do produce viable seeds. So, here again are some before and after pictures:

(left) Here's part of the tomato area before I prepared it by tilling, digging, and working over the soil. Again, this photo was taken in early May.



(right) Taken July 3, this same area includes a "medicine wheel" flower bed (fore ground), and then tomato plants beyond. Yes, that is a sunflower. I have random sunflowers coming up due to the gardening efforts of the local bird population.

Here are a few more tomato photos taken July 3. The plants are just starting to bloom and set fruit.



This year's garden is so exciting for me. I have salad greens galore...I just take my scissors and snip off a patch of lettuce. The peas are now coming ready. It has potential to feed us for several months after harvest! If all goes well, we should have: tomatoes, potatoes, turnips, squash, cabbage, broccoli, sweet peppers, corn, peas, carrots, radishes, lettuce, onions, beans, cucumbers, Swiss chard, spinach, pumpkins, tomatillos....to add to the fruits from our yard, which include strawberries, cherries, apples, pears, grapes, raspberries, rhubarb, and plums. We already enjoyed the asparagus. Happy Summer!

1 comment:

Tree said...

I like the before/after photos you did. It does a great job in exhibiting your abundance of vegetation. Next year do a time-lapse! ^_^