Saturday, January 21, 2006

Christmas Misc....Giftmaking

Even though my time was short, I needed to make "gifts from the heart and hand". On Dec. 23rd/24th I took time to make "firestarter" cups for friends and family who have woodstoves. This picture is of the basket of firestarters I made for our woodstove. How do you do it? Gather old candle stubs/ends/unwanteds, melt them down, put some sawdust or wood chips in the dixie cup, pour the melted wax over the top until the sawdust/chips are covered. Let cool. I threaded yarn through the top of the cups to pull them shut and make them quite "pretty". These are working fantastically! An old Girl Scout craft!

For momentary stress relief during the end of semester rush of early December (between Dec.5th - 21st), I began doing a little crocheting. Here you see an example of the homemade dish cloths that I crocheted. These took very little time to do...and I found making them quite relaxing when I had enough of grading papers....before the exam week hit! I actually used crocheting as a "reward" for working hard on grading papers.

The crocheted dish cloth became part of a "Snowman Soup Kit" that I made and gave to several people. The ingredients for such can be found on the Internet, including some ideas for how to write a poem. I used the ideas I found and came up with my own poem. These were a real hit!! The kit includes cocoa, marshmallows, peppermints, chocolate, and my homemade dishcloth.

Of all the gifts given, I enjoyed giving these homemade items the best! ~S

No comments: