Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hope and Smiles

When I think about how one person can make a difference in the world around them, I think about how attitude and interactions are what count. One way is to bring the spirit of hope and possibilities to a situation or circumstance.

Hope! When someone has hope, then possibilities seem to be within reach. Its the old idea of is the glass half empty (hopeless) or half full (hopeful). Its also the mind set of dwelling on problems (hopeless) or being open and creative in solutions (hopeful).

The other piece to this is whether a person is in the "Can Do" attitude or the "Can't Do" attitude. When I write "Can't Do"....I mean that the person has come up with rationale that is real or imagined to keep him or her from doing something. The "Can't" world can get rather large, and in essence causes the person to live in a very small box of "Can" possibilities. When I think of this phenomena of "Can't" in the extreme, its like a person has created a self-imposed prison cell, the confinement imposed by all the "Can'ts" that set the boundaries and limit freedom, problem solving, learning, and creativity (to name a few).

I've felt that my life has been lived primarily in the "Can Do" world. Part may be attributed to my personality - Meyers Briggs assessment suggests I'm an "intuitive-perceptive" type. What I do know is that I love when my mind roams freely in exploring possibilities, seeing beyond the barriers....for it is then that I feel able in some small way to make a difference. It is in the hopeful, creative, possibility moments that life is good, and I can lend my smile and laughter to others.

S~

No comments: